Agrifood Africa Connect
AgriFood Africa Connect brings innovative people and organisations across the UK and Africa together to address key AgriFood challenges in Africa. We build diverse connections across the UK and Africa to drive positive change that aligns with the UK’s Overseas Development Assistance goals.
About the programme
AgriFood Africa Connect is part of GCRF AgriFood Africa. GCRF AgriFood Africa is funded by the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) and delivered by Innovate UK. It aims to develop sustainable management of the food production systems in Africa, in a way that reduces poverty, increases economic prosperity and improves well-being in Africa.
Accelerating ambitious ideas into real-world solutions is at the heart of what we do. To create positive change, all of our activities are motivated by the following goals, set as part of GCRF AgriFood Africa:
- Developing sustainable intensification of African agriculture
- Improving human health and the diversity of diets and nutrition
- Having a positive impact on rural income and food security
- Facilitating increased trade activity in agricultural products
How can AgriFood Africa Connect help you?
- Build powerful connections through our online networking events and LinkedIn group.
- Raise awareness of your innovative project through opportunities to showcase what you’re doing to the rest of the network.
- Understand and visualise the African AgriFood sector as a whole, make better connections and identify partners thanks to our AgriFood Africa Map.
- Get support from the network to find partners for funding bids or collaboration.
- Hear about funding for innovative AgriFood projects between Africa and the UK via our newsletter, including the GCRF AgriFood Africa Innovation Awards.
- Work with our team to strengthen your application by better understanding the funding landscape, how to write a good application, and by finding the right partners to make your innovation a success.
Keep up to date with AgriFood Africa Connect
Sign up to our newsletter. You’ll be the first to hear about the latest relevant events and funding opportunities.
Sign up to our newsletter
GCRF AgriFood Africa Innovation Awards
The GCRF AgriFood Africa Innovation Awards provide funding to UK research organisations to collaborate with an African organisation to address AgriFood challenges in Africa.
Find out about the projects that have received funding through Rounds 1, 2 and 3, including projects around aquaculture, crops, food and livestock.
Related Events and Recordings
Earth Observation Technologies and Data for African Agriculture
10.00 - 12.30 | Online
Building UK-Africa Collaboration for Soil Health and Crop Nutrition
10.00 - 12.00 GMT+1 | Online
Apply your innovation to a new challenge - Reducing crop loss by quelea birds in Africa
09.30 - 12.30 | Online
The importance of innovation for livestock in African AgriFood systems
Collaboration between organisations in the UK and Africa is helping to drive innovation to support African livestock systems.
Opportunities for innovation to reduce damage caused by quelea birds in Africa
In April 2023, we brought together stakeholders from the UK and Africa to explore innovation to reduce crop loss due to quelea birds in Africa.
From Space to Field: Using Earth Observation in AgriFood in the UK and Africa
Earth Observation (EO) – including satellite data and drone imaging – is used to support innovation across agriculture and food production, from monitoring weather conditions and improving in-field decision making to managing supply chains. African countries are now developing world-leading expertise in these space technologies.
Programmes related to Agrifood Africa Connect
AgriFood Africa Connect Map
The AgriFood Africa Connect Map makes it easier for UK and African organisations to collaborate on projects, provides information on the AgriFood sector across Africa, and helps connect innovators to enable collaboration and address key global challenges.
Global Alliance Africa
We are delivering a 6-year (2019-2025) UK International Development funded Global Alliance Africa project which aims to build new and stronger UK-African partnerships to maximise the creation of inclusive market access, funding and investment opportunities through innovation knowledge transfer between the UK, Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa.
Sign up to our newsletter
You’ll be the first to hear about the latest relevant events and funding opportunities.