GCRF AgriFood Africa
GCRF AgriFood Africa boosts collaboration between the UK and Africa to develop sustainable management of food production systems in Africa. This is done in a way that reduces poverty, increases economic prosperity and improves well-being in Africa.
GCRF AgriFood Africa is a £26m programme funded by GCRF, delivered by Innovate UK and its delivery partners. The Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) is a £1.5 billion fund set up by the UK government. The programme launched in 2019 and will run until 2024.
How is GCRF AgriFood Africa delivered?
GCRF AgriFood Africa is delivered through three strands:
- A technology accelerator programme including Seeding Awards delivered by BBSRC, industry focussed R&D and demonstration activities through the AgriTech Catalyst, which is delivered by Innovate UK.
- By linking world-leading knowledge and expertise of academics to business-critical projects, through AgriFood Africa Knowledge Transfer Partnerships, delivered by KTN.
- By connecting the UK and Africa through events, funding, information sharing, partnering and networking to increase the impact of AgriFood funded projects and align UK expertise to African challenges, through AgriFood Africa Connect, delivered by KTN.
What are GCRF AgriFood Africa’s goals?
In addition to its overarching goal of developing sustainable management of food production systems in Africa, GCRF AgriFood Africa has some long-term outcomes:
- Developing sustainable intensification of African agriculture
- Improving human health and diversity of diets and nutrition
- Impacting positively on rural income and food security
- Facilitating increased trade activity in agricultural products
What’s the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF)?
GCRF is a £1.5 billion fund set up by the UK government. The fund supports cutting-edge research to address challenges faced by developing countries. It is part of the UK’s official development assistance (ODA).
The fund addresses the United Nations sustainable development goals. It aims to maximise the impact of research and innovation to improve lives and opportunity in the developing world.
Watch the video below to find out more about GCRF.