Textiles are everywhere in modern society. Technical Textiles are defined as materials and products manufactured primarily for their technical and performance properties rather than their aesthetic or decorative characteristics.
Technical textiles are the basis of many applications across a very broad range of industry sectors, including:
- Technical protective textiles to improve worker safety in the workplace
- Agrotextiles used in agriculture include all activities concerned with the growing and harvesting of crops and animals
- Textiles used in construction for decoration and structural applications
- Technical textiles for clothing applications
- Geotextiles defined as all woven, nonwoven and knitted textile materials used mainly by the civil engineering industry
- Home textiles used in a domestic environment include interior decorations and furniture, carpeting, protection against the sun, cushion materials, fireproofing, floor and wall coverings, and textile reinforced structures/fittings
- Industrial textiles are used for chemical and electrical applications and textiles related to mechanical engineering
- Medical textiles include all the medical fabrics that are used in health and hygiene applications in both consumer and medical markets
- Textiles for transport These textiles are used in the construction of automobiles, railways, ships, aircraft and spacecraft
- Eco textiles in environmental protection applications
- Sports textiles, are used mainly for making sports wear including sports shoes and other sports accessories.
With technical textiles it will be possible offer innovative solutions for global problems, such as pollution, health issues, transports, protection, communication, and so on.
European Commission Plastics Related Funding & tender opportunities
Opens: 01/03/2023 Closes: 22/02/2024
Horizon Europe funding for reducing plastic pollution, pollutant monitoring, circular economy, and biodegradation validation. Various closing dates.
Innovate UK Smart grants: January 2024
Opens: 18/01/2024 Closes: 24/04/2024
UK registered organisations can apply for a share of up to £25m for game-changing R&D that can significantly impact the UK economy.
Innovate UK innovation loans future economy: round 13
Opens: 11/01/2024 Closes: 06/03/2024
UK registered businesses can apply for loans for innovative projects with strong commercial potential to significantly improve the UK economy.
Related Events and Recordings
Industry and academic research leaders unite at global plastics sustainability conference
Back for its 3rd year, the Global Research Innovation in Plastics Sustainability (GRIPS) conference welcomed 1,000 delegates to the Coventry Building Society Arena, with a live stream available for online viewers. The show featured a variety of talks from leading experts in plastics and materials across academia and industry, united by the mission to prevent plastic waste becoming fugitive in the environment.
Women in Innovation 2021/2022 Success Stories
Read the success stories of our 2021/22 Women in Innovation and the personal journeys they’ve been on since winning their awards.