Introduction to Open Innovation
Our Open Innovation (OI) programme supports Challenge Holders in finding innovative solutions to their key business challenges. This is via a proven process for identifying innovators with promising solutions, assessing their ideas, and facilitating collaborative pilots leading to positive outcomes.
- For Challenge Holders, the OI process strengthens supply chains, allows quick exposure to new technologies and leverages Innovate UK’s cross-sector networks to fast track the innovation procurement process in a time efficient manner.
- Solution Providers gain access to large businesses, engage in ongoing project collaboration, receive up to £25,000 in seed funding, and benefit from pitching and development support.
This video gives an overview of the Open Innovation Intervention and Open Innovation platform within the Global Alliance Africa project.
Activities such as Open Innovation challenges, Open Innovation collaborations, Documented Case Studies, Presentation and Pitch Training, and New Technology Development secure Innovation Development Partnerships between Challenge Holders and Solutions Providers to address key socio-economic challenges for each country.
Sign up here to receive the quarterly Global Alliance newsletter. Subscribe now >
Our Open Innovation programme has developed new partnerships, accelerating the penetration of innovation, and increasing supply chain robustness and diversification in Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa.
Our challenges in Kenya include working with:
- Flamingo Horticulture International to detect and control False Codling Moths in their chilli crops. Read our case study here. We have also partnered with:
- The WEEE Centre to find ways to re-use and recycle Cathode Ray Tubes. Read our case study here.
- Kenya Airways are looking for ways to increase airport accessibility using next generation technologies.
We’ve launched our first challenges in Nigeria with:
- Hinckley Recycling to find innovative solutions for second life batteries and creating a Battery Management System. TGI asked us to help find solutions for crop damage by birds, a major source of food insecurity across Africa. In addition, Innovate UK has signed a Letter of Collaboration with First Bank Nigeria to run an Open Innovation challenge with the Bank’s extensive client base.
In South Africa, we’ve assisted
- Unilever in identifying innovative solutions to promote a culture of ‘reduce, reuse and refill’ for their single-use plastic products sold by small traders and as online consumer goods. Meanwhile, we are working with:
- Rand Water to discover new approaches to the efficient treatment and beneficiation of drinking water.
Our latest challenges are assisting:
- Dolphin Coast Landfill Management DCLM (operated by Veolia) to accelerate their leachate concentration process and valorise paper waste.
Innovation Champions: WEEE Centre, Milav, RISE, and Quinnovations address e-waste challenge
Transforming Electronic Waste into Eco-Friendly Solutions: A Success Story
Innovation Champions: Global Alliance Africa announces Triple Shine Winners of Unilever's Plastic Waste Open Innovation Challenge!
Global Alliance Africa’s Open Innovation Challenge in partnership with Unilever identifies solution aimed at reducing plastic usage in consumer goods in South Africa.