Horizon Europe: Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes
Research and innovation across all transport modes sought, for the EU to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions and reduce air pollution by 2050
Grants of €850k to €16m per project for the various calls (total of €217m available)
This Horizon Europe funding call addresses activities that improve the climate and environmental footprint, as well as competitiveness, of different transport modes. UK organisations are now eligible to apply following the UK’s association to Horizon Europe.
The transport sector is responsible for 23% of CO2 emissions and remains dependent on oil for 92% of its energy demand. While there has been significant technological progress over past decades, projected GHG emissions are not in line with the objectives of the Paris Agreement due to the expected increase in transport demand. Intensified research and innovation activities are therefore needed, across all transport modes and in line with societal needs and preferences, in order for the EU to reach its policy goals towards a net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 and to reduce significantly air pollutants.
The areas of rail and air traffic management will be addressed through dedicated Institutional European Partnerships and are not part of this funding call.
A link to each call, and their indicative budget, is given in the sections below: all 18 calls have a closing date of 18th April 2024.
For most projects here, the funding offered by Horizon Europe can cover up to 60% of the eligible costs, except for non-profit legal entities where the funding rate can cover up to 100% of the total eligible costs.
Innovate UK KTN will hold a webinar with further information on 4 December 2023, 10.30am-noon GMT: click here to register for a place. A recording will be available afterwards.
If you would like help to find a project partner for any of these calls, contact Innovate UK KTN’s Transport team or our Horizon Europe team. Assistance is also available from Louise Mothersole (UK Horizon Europe National Contact Point for Mobility at Innovate UK).
- Demonstrating efficient fully DC electric grids within waterborne transport for large ship applications (ZEWT Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-14: €15m budget, 2 grants expected
- Combining state-of-the-art emission reduction and efficiency improvement technologies in ship design and retrofitting for contributing to the “Fit for 55” package objective by 2030 (ZEWT Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-12: €15m budget, 2 grants expected
- Structuring the Waterborne transport sector, including through changed business and industrial models in order to achieve commercial zero-emission waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-16: €850k, 1 grant expected
- Coordinating and supporting the combined activities of member and associated states towards the objectives of the Zero Emission Waterborne Transport partnership so as to increase synergies and impact (ZEWT Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-17: €1.5m, 1 grant expected
- Demonstration of Technologies to minimise underwater noise generated by waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-13: €6m, 1 grant expected
- Achieving high voltage, low weight, efficient electric powertrains for sustainable waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-11: €15m budget, 2 grants expected
- Advanced digitalisation and modelling utilizing operational and other data to support zero emission waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-15: €7.7m, 1 grant expected
- Impact monitoring of EU Aviation R&I HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-09: €3m budget, 1 grant expected
- Towards a flying testbed for European leadership in aviation HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-10: €16m, 1 grant expected
- Competitiveness and digital transformation in aviation – advancing further composite aerostructures HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-08: €21m, up to 5 grants of €3m-€5m each expected
- Accelerating climate neutral aviation, minimising non-CO2 emissions HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-07: €17m, up to 4 grants of €4m-€5m expected
- Smart, low-cost pervasive stationary slow charging and bi-directional solutions synergic with the grid for EV mass deployment (2ZERO Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-01: €15m budget, 2 grants expected
- Integrated flexible multipoint megawatt charging systems for electric truck mass deployment (2ZERO Partnership) (2024) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-04: €17m, 2 grants expected
- Integration and testing of next generation post-800V electric powertrains (2ZERO Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-02: €15m, 3 grants of €4m-€6m expected
- Advanced digital development tools to accelerate the development of software defined vehicles that enable zero-emission mobility (2ZERO Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-05: €10m, 2 grants expected
- New designs, shapes, functionalities of Light Commercial Vehicles (2ZERO Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-06: €10m, 1 grant expected
- Advanced battery system integration for next generation vehicles (2ZERO Partnership) HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-03: €10m, 2 grants expected