Faraday Battery Challenge
UKRI’s Faraday Battery Challenge, delivered by Innovate UK will invest up to £1.5m in innovation scale up projects in January 2024 to fund UKBIC SME credit Round 2.
Building on the success of the first SME Credit competition in May of this year, the new competition will:
- support small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs) research and development for the scale-up of battery technologies within the UK
- support small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs) to access the UK Battery Industrialisation Centre (UKBIC) and demonstrate technologies at suitable scales to customers
- increase engagement with UK Battery Industrialisation Centre (UKBIC)
- move UK battery innovations from technological potential towards commercial capability, including scalability and design for manufacture
- develop and secure material and manufacturing supply chains for battery technologies in the UK
Funding support for eligible costs will be confirmed once the formal call is published.
The timeline of the competition will be: (all exact dates to be confirmed)
- 29 November 2023, Pre-competition engagement event at UKBIC facility
- January 2024, Competition opens
- January 2024, Online Competition Briefing event
- March 2024, Competition closes
- July 2024, likely start dates for projects
- End of March 2025, all projects must have been completed
Pre-competition engagement event, 29 November 2023 at UKBIC Facility in Coventry:
- Introduction to Faraday Battery Challenge
- Introduction to UKBIC and scope of facilities (especially companies new to using UKBIC)
- Bidding for SME Credits programme
- Benefits of SME Credits
- UKBIC timeline to support competition
- 1-2-1 discussions with UKBIC team of project idea
The scope of the competition is likely to be updated. Please check once it is formally announced.
Sign up for the Pre-competition engagement event at UKBIC, which is due to be held on the afternoon of Wednesday, 29 November. To email your questions, email: email@example.com and put the words ‘SME Credit’ in the content line.
The Battery Caffè Podcast Series
We understand that innovation is fast-paced and it is sometimes hard to stay up-to-date with the latest news in your sector. In order to make things easier for you, we have developed a series of 10-15min interviews with experts in batteries and supporting sectors.
Battery Caffè Podcast Episode 10: Critical Minerals
The Battery Caffè is delivering the final podcast episode of the series. Listen to Episode 10 about critical minerals now.