Horizon Europe Maritime Information Day and Brokerage Event
Almost £50m is available for new and innovative projects in the maritime sector through the collaborative Horizon Europe initiative. Every legal entity from the UK is eligible to apply to the EU for this funding.
Recording and slides now available
About the event
This in person event is a unique opportunity for businesses, research organisations, and universities within the UK’s maritime sector to learn about and access funding through the collaborative Horizon Europe initiative. The event focuses on the availability of nearly £50 million in funding for innovative projects. Click here for further details of the available funding.
- 9:30 Arrival and Coffee/Tea
- 10:00 Welcome and introduction to the day – Jo Gosling, Innovate UK KTN
- 10:05 High-level overview of Horizon Europe Programme – Louise Mothersole, Horizon Europe UK National Contact Point for Transport & Mobility
- 10:15 Overview of the Zero Emission Waterborne Transport initiative – Jaap Gebraad, Secretary-General of Waterborne Technology Platform
- 10:30 Case studies from 4 current UK successes
- Trevor Downes of Ricardo will present their project ‘sustainable HYdrogen powered Shipping’ (sHYpS)
- Milad Armin of Liverpool John Moores University will present on their project ‘Retrofit Solutions to Achieve 55% GHG Reduction by 2030’ (RETROFIT55)
- Sam Faraghi of Anemoi Marine Technologies (an SME) will present on their project ‘OPTImised WInd Supported vEssels’ (OPTIWISE)
- Pietro Tricoli from University of Birmingham will present their project ‘Vessel Advanced Clustered and Coordinated Energy Storage Systems’ (V-ACCESS)
- 11:10 Panel discussion: focusing on any commonly made mistakes, any tips for success etc, followed by Q&A
- 11:30 Refreshments and networking opportunity
- 12:00 Brief overview of each Topic – each led by one of the volunteers for facilitation in the afternoon:
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-11 Achieving high voltage, low weight, efficient electric powertrains for sustainable waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-12 Combining state-of-the-art emission reduction and efficiency improvement technologies in ship design and retrofitting for contributing to the “Fit for 55” package objective by 2030 (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-13 Demonstration of Technologies to minimise underwater noise generated by waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-14 Demonstrating efficient fully DC electric grids within waterborne transport for large ship applications (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-15 Advanced digitalisation and modelling utilizing operational and other data to support zero emission waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership)
- 13:00 Networking lunch
- 14:10 Breakouts by Topic on different tables – Introduction from each member of the group on why they are interested and what they could potentially bring to a partnership and what they might need. Opportunity to discuss ideas for the Topic e.g, what would be in and out of scope (opportunity for delegates to visit three of the five):
- 14:10 Breakout 1
- 14:40 Breakout 2
- 15:10 Breakout 3
- 15:30 Summing up and close – Sheldon Ryan, Maritime UK
Why should I attend?
The event offers access to significant funding, approximately £50 million, aimed at driving innovative projects within the maritime sector. This funding holds immense value in propelling the development and execution of ground-breaking ideas and solutions, making attendance vital.
Furthermore, the event offers an in-depth understanding of the 2024 cycle’s funding calls and the intricate project bidding process. Attendees will directly gain insights from Jaap Gebraad, the architect of the Zero Emission Waterborne Partnership responsible for these calls, providing a distinctive opportunity to access expert perspectives.
Moreover, the event fosters networking with potential consortium partners across Europe, essential for collaborative innovation. Attendees can learn from the experiences of successful UK entities, spanning large corporations to universities, that have secured funding. The event’s agenda covers an overview of Horizon Europe’s insights into Zero Emission Waterborne Transport, case studies, interactive panels, and specialized breakouts. These sessions foster in-depth conversations, idea exchange, and potential partnership formation.
Horizon Europe: Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes
Opens: 07/12/2023 Closes: 18/04/2024
Research and innovation across all transport modes sought, for the EU to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions and reduce air pollution by 2050