Ascension Ventures Limited
Ascension is an early-stage venture capital firm built and managed by exited operators and entrepreneurs to back the next generation of tech and impact founders.
Since 2015, Ascension has invested in 150+ start-ups across its (S)EIS & Institutional funds – our specialist approach and extensive sector reach allow us to identify and scale pioneering tech enterprises.
With over £83m under management, Ascension was crowned Seed VC of the Year in 2022 by the UK Business Angels Association and is the most active investor in the UK in the past decade (Beauhurst). Ascension has a particular focus on backing impact businesses leveraging the power of technology to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. For more information, see ascension.vc.
- The core Ascension team (now 15 individuals) and shareholders are exited tech entrepreneurs and successful investors in their own right.
- 12 recent exits and \> 70+ Ascension investments valued at \>200%
- 4 Ascension maturing funds have passed, or closed in on, 300% value: SEIS ’15, SEIS ’16, EIS ’17, SEIS ’19
- Hosted in the offices of O2 Telefonica’s global accelerator, Wayra
- Team has spent majority of their careers investing in and managing technology businesses
- Ascension VPs (17 shareholders + 2 shareholder directors) each own a stake in the business and have multiple $100m+ and $1bn+ exits from their own businesses and angel investments
- 30+ Mentors bring their expertise in building businesses, ranging from start-ups to global companies operating in the Funds’ sectors
Ascension has adopted an investment approach that focuses on three key elements of any potential business: the quality of the team, the robustness of the technology vs. competition and market size/potential of the product. Analysis is then conducted to discern whether there is a clear route to market for the distribution of the product and to decide where Ascension can add value.
Why we add value:
- We have been investing since 2015 – investing in over 150+ companies, 12 exits, 70+ businesses trading at \>2x and only a few failures – so have built strong co-invest / follow on relationships with key angels / funds across the UK
- We have a diverse team / venture partner network / mentors all with the sole focus to help investee companies scale
- We have sector specific funds with more focus, e.g., the Life Fund which has an extensive advisor network which is both scientific and commercial and the Conduit