The $10M XPRIZE Rainforest is a five-year competition. The winning team will develop novel technologies to rapidly and comprehensively survey rainforest biodiversity and use that data to improve our understanding of this complex ecosystem.
The XPRIZE Rainforest will accelerate the innovation of autonomous technologies needed for biodiversity assessment and will enhance our understanding of rainforest ecosystems by using rapid data integration to provide new wisdom about the forest as well as inspire new investment and exploration. The XPRIZE Rainforest will reveal the true potential of the standing forest, accelerating the development of new, just, and sustainable bioeconomies.
THE GRAND CHALLENGE
The winning team will develop novel technologies to rapidly and comprehensively survey rainforest biodiversity and use that data to improve our understanding of this complex ecosystem.
The winning team will have to survey the most biodiversity in at least three stories of a rainforest (emergent, canopy, understory, and forest floor) in 8 hours and use that data to produce the greatest number of new insights after 48 hours that will reveal the true potential of the standing forest. (Insights are a new understanding of the ecosystem and may include, but are not limited to, new ecological dependencies, biodiversity, climate connectivity, anthropological findings, undiscovered threats or even sustainable societal interactions with the forest.) Teams will be evaluated based on their engagement with indigenous or local communities within a rainforest, or an academic institution from one or more of the countries that contain a rainforest. Engagement may include participation as a team member, team advisor, team collaborator, etc. We will also encourage teams to compete from local rainforest communities.
There will be $10 million (USD) in total prize purses available.
● First Place: $5,000,000 (Five Million USD)
● Second Place: $2,000,000 (Two Million USD)
● Third Place: $500,000 (Five Hundred Thousand USD)
There will be a Bonus Prize Purse in the amount of $250,000 (Two Hundred Fifty Thousand USD). that may be awarded at the Judging Panel’s discretion to one or more Finalist Teams whose Solutions demonstrate groundbreaking achievements.
There will be $2,000,000 (Two Million USD) to be shared equally among all Teams (up to 10) selected as Finalists.
There will be $250,000 (Two Hundred Fifty Thousand USD) to be shared equally among all Teams (up to 25) selected as Semifinalists.
COMPETITION INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:
- Competition Guidelines (PDF): The Guidelines describe the requirements and parameters of the competition.
- Competitor Agreement (PDF): Legally binding contract that contains the requirements of the competition. This document represents V1.0 of the Rainforest XPRIZE Competitor Agreement for all teams to view. This is only a preliminary version of the Competitors Agreement and is for your immediate reference only. This is not the complete and final version. There will be a final version posted at a later date that will require all team leaders to sign to proceed in the Competition.
- Rules and Regulations: Document detailing the testing protocols, specific rules, dates/times, and other details that will govern the competition and will be binding on teams.
Timeline (subject to change):
Q4 2020 Draft Rules and Regulations Released
October 15, 2020 Early Registration Deadline
March 15, 2021 Regular Registration Deadline and Qualifying Round Begins
Q2 2021 In-Person Team Summit
May 13, 2021 Qualifying Submission and Competitor Agreement Deadline
Q3 2021 Qualified Teams Announced (up to 50 teams)
Q3 2021– Q2 2022 Qualified Teams Solution Development
Q2 2022 Discretionary Late Registration Closes and Semifinal Submission Deadline
Q3 2022 Semifinalist Teams Announced (up to 25 teams)
Q3 2022 – Q1 2023 Semifinalist Teams Solution Development
Q1 2023 Semifinal Team Verification
Q1 2023 – Q2 2023 Semifinal Testing and Judging
Q2 2023 Finalist Teams Announced (up to 10 teams)
Q2 2023 – Q2 2024 Finalist Teams Solution Development
Q2 2024 Final Team Verification
Q3 2024 Finals Testing and Judging
Q3 2024 Final Award Ceremony and Winners Announced
Q3 2024 – Q4 2025 Scaling Impact