University of Edinburgh AI Accelerator 2023
AI-focused entrepreneurs and businesses scaling up from anywhere can apply to take part in this 6-month Accelerator.
The AI Accelerator gives data-driven scaleups the opportunity to harness the power of AI and bring about transformative change. From AgriTech to FinTech, AI technology can bring efficiencies, create new propositions and disrupt markets. It can help save lives and the planet.
It is delivered by The University of Edinburgh’s world-leading innovation hub for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence, the Bayes Centre, and supported by Edinburgh Innovations, the University of Edinburgh’s commercialisation service. It is delivered on behalf of the University’s Data-Driven Innovation Hubs, in contribution to the Data-Driven Entrepreneurship programme.
Who can apply?
AI-focused entrepreneurs and businesses scaling up from across the UK and the world can apply to take part in this 6-month Accelerator to benefit from the expertise and talent on offer in Edinburgh. You do not need to be linked to the University of Edinburgh or based in the UK, but you will of course have an interest in engaging with the AI and data ecosystem in Scotland. The next AI Accelerator programme will be focused around 3 key themes:
- AI for climate change
- AI for health
- AI for good
We are keen to welcome applications from international businesses who are interested in engaging with Scotland. You must be aware that workshops and meetings will run on UK time. Some sessions will be face to face and you will be expected to attend in person. For certain sessions, we will attempt to make provision for people who are unable to attend in person, but this will not always be possible.
We are looking for scaleups, so you will need to be an incorporated company, ideally post-revenue having already attracted some funding and with fully dedicated founders. However there are no hard limits here; bootstrappers and pre-revenue companies are also welcome to apply, and may be selected if they can demonstrate growth potential.
The successful companies will benefit from a tailored programme for AI scaleups including:
- Workshops and dedicated mentors to support you in developing a wide range of business skills from sales and marketing to financial planning
- Opportunities to connect with the University of Edinburgh’s world leading academic expertise and student talent
- A stipend of £9k per company and the chance to win additional funding
- Connections to investors as well as local and global networks
- Support from our dedicated programme team, partners, supporters and your peers
- The opportunity to be a part of the Bayes Centre, the University of Edinburgh’s innovation hub for data science and AI – including access to the centre’s incredible facilities, office space for six months and its inspirational and collaborative data-driven community
- Links with Edinburgh’s Data-Driven Innovation hubs, including: the National Robotarium, the Usher Institute for population data science, Edinburgh Futures Institute, Easter Bush and Edinburgh International Data Facility.
Support and events
A Showcase event was held on 22nd March: if you would like to watch the recording you can do so here.
There will be two events in April to find out more about the programme and the selection process. This will be an opportunity to ask questions of the programme manager, Katy Guthrie, and also one or two previous participants.
Wednesday 26th April 2023 (In Person Only – Bayes Centre) – 16:00 -17:00Register for the In Person session on the 26th April
Thursday 27th April 2023 (Online only – Teams) – 16:00 – 16:30Register for the Online session on the 27th April
Applications are now open until midnight on Monday, 15th May 2023.