Travel Grants : GCRF AgriFood Africa Innovation Awards Round 4
Apply for up to £8000 per organisation for travel to support new collaborations between organisations in the UK and Africa.
Travel Grants support new collaborations between organisations in the UK and Africa. Successful UK-registered applicants will receive a grant of up to £8000 to travel to meet an organisation registered and based in an ODA-eligible country in Africa (see Travel Grant Guidelines for full list).
Innovate UK KTN is delivering these Travel Grants as part of the Global Challenges Research Fund AgriFood Africa Programme.
What is a Travel Grant?
- Travel Grants will support new collaborations between organisations in the UK and Africa.
- These Travel Grants will facilitate travel for UK organisations to Africa for activities such as:
- in-country visits to exchange ideas around a particular innovation
- demonstrations of innovative solutions
- exploring the options and requirements for adaptation of a technology to a new market
- developing project ideas and proof of market or concept work
- You can apply for a Travel Grant of up to £8000 (inclusive of VAT).
- You will be informed whether your application is successful or not by the 10th January.
- Travel must be completed by the 31st March 2023.
- We will support a portfolio of collaborations that address one of the areas indicated below, across a range of organisations, technologies, market sectors and territories.
Travel Grants must address challenges in at least one of these areas:
- primary crop and livestock production, including aquaculture
- improving the availability and accessibility of safe, healthy and nutritious foods
- challenges in food processing, distribution or storage, or value addition (ie. through a change in the physical state or form of the product)
- non-food uses of crops, excluding ornamentals and crops for energy use
High priority areas
Applications focusing on one or more of the high priority areas listed below are encouraged, but applications are not limited to these areas:
- Innovations to reduce or valorise waste streams in African AgriFood value chains.
- Innovations to improve quality of feed and genetics in the African aquaculture sector.
- Innovations to improve the success and adoption of agroforestry technologies in Africa.
Impact of Travel Grant
The innovative projects that will be explored during your travel as a result of the Travel Grant must show the potential to reduce poverty, increase economic prosperity and improve well-being in Africa, through the uptake of agricultural and food systems technology and innovation.
- Innovative projects must:
- be sustainable in the context of environmental challenges such as climate change and resource scarcity.
- minimise negative effects such as pollution, food loss and waste.
- promote safe, healthy and nutritious diets.
- show benefit to an ODA-eligible African country’s agriculture and/or food systems to contribute to sustainable, healthy, safe and nutritious diets.
- consider diversity and equality, including where appropriate empowerment of girls and women in agriculture and food systems.
Who can apply?
- Applications must be led by a UK-registered business, charity, University or Research Training Organisation (RTO).
- Projects must include one UK-registered lead organisation and one partner organisation based in an ODA-eligible African country (two partners maximum per project).
- Organisations are only allowed to be involved in one Travel Grant application.
Find the right partner organisation to apply with
Do you have a question?
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
*If you’re viewing this webpage using Microsoft Edge, these links may not be accessible; please try a different browser if so, or contact the Agrifood Africa Connect team if you need more assistance.
Read the Travel Grant guidelines below:
Complete the ‘Travel Grant Case for Support’ template. This will outline the details of your Travel Grant and budget.
Email your ‘Travel Grant Case for Support’ to email@example.com
Your Case for Support must be submitted as a Word document, by the UK-registered lead organisation, and be received by Innovate UK KTN by 11am GMT on 23rd December 2022.
Fill out the online Application Form to finalise your application, by 11am GMT 23rd December 2022.