TechX Clean Energy Accelerator
TechX’s Clean Energy Accelerator is an intensive 15-week programme for 12 innovative clean energy start-ups with clear potential to significantly accelerate the transition to an affordable net zero energy industry.
The entry criteria are:
- Start-ups’ technology solutions must be at a technology readiness level (TRL) of 2 to 6 inclusive in order to be eligible for the Accelerator. We will accept applications from start-ups that have developed other technologies at higher TRLs as long as the innovation they are applying with is TRL 2 to TRL 6.
- Start-ups can be based anywhere as the programme is delivered virtually, but all participants must work to a GMT time zone. In-person attendance in Aberdeen UK is expected for 3 weeks (first week, last week and a week in the middle).
- The TechX Clean Energy Accelerator is a 15-week full time intensive programme. At a minimum one founder will need to be available full-time during the 15 weeks to take part in the programme. A maximum of two employees (including one founder) may participate in the programme.
- Start-ups may not participate in other accelerators during the TechX Clean Energy Accelerator programme.
- Start-ups will only be considered if they are developing clean energy technologies that fit one or more of our technology focus areas, set out below.
- Start-ups located outside the UK must be able to communicate clearly how they plan to benefit the North East Scotland and UK economies. They will need to incorporate a UK company before the start of the programme.
- All start-ups must be inclusive and diverse or open to building diverse teams. Read more about our diversity and inclusion initiative.
Technology focus areas
- Renewable energy technologies, hydrogen, other clean fuels and green chemicals
- Carbon Capture, Usage and Storage
- Oil and gas emissions reduction technologies
As a start-up on the programme, you will receive a grant of up £100,000* and expert support from delivery partners and mentors on:
- Testing your value proposition and business model with technical experts from potential industrial customers across the value chain.
- Creating a prototype or minimum viable product.
- Pitching to potential customers at our final showcase Demo Day.
- Securing field trials to pilot your solution with the industry including bp, Equinor, ADNOC and our other partners.
- Structuring capital raising and pitches to investors, before putting it into practice on Investor Day.
- Building diverse teams.
- Connecting into the Net Zero Technology Centre’s extensive energy industry network and maximising the benefit.
- Creating and developing your brand.
- Structuring your business optimally from a legal and tax perspective.
- Complying with regulation and anticipating regulatory changes.
- Protecting your IP, developing an IP strategy and applying for patents.
Start-ups also have access to the TechX Growth co-working space in Aberdeen and further business support for two years post-graduation.