iX Challenge: Sustainable Transport & Energy system related technologies and innovative approaches for enabling a region to reach net zero ahead of 2050
The Innovation Exchange programme is working alongside Electric Corby Community Interest Company, on a Community Renewal Funded approach for North Northamptonshire Council, to develop a roadmap options programme, on how to get the region to net zero. This challenge is specifically looking for transport and energy-related ideas.
Investment and tender opportunities; support with grant applications and future investment. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to present their ideas to the local authority and potentially work with the project partners to pitch for further funding to support the delivery of the high priority low carbon initiatives across the region.
The Innovation Exchange programme is working alongside Electric Corby Community Interest Company, on a Community Renewal Funded approach for North Northamptonshire Council, to develop a roadmap options programme, on how to get the region to net zero. As part of this, the project has already looked at a wide range of existing projects but now wants to widen the net to look for any new relevant innovative technologies, enabling initiatives, behavioural change projects and even revolutionary concepts that might be important for delivering net zero before 2050. This challenge is specifically looking for transport and energy-related ideas. This could include any of electric vehicles, charging infrastructure, energy management systems, energy generation ideas – new renewables, energy storage systems (battery, hybrid and non-battery), better-balancing systems between demand and generation, micro-grids, and better use of existing technologies. Solutions could also simply be better ways and behaviours to use less energy in what we do, travel less or more efficiently, and deliver logistics with net zero carbon.
This challenge is focussed around achieving Net Zero transport and/or combined with management and balancing of electricity demand, generation and storage across the North Northants region. Electric Corby are looking for innovative organisations that can work with them to deliver projects that support the transition to EV and to ensure sufficient management and balancing of electricity demand, generation and storage is achieved across the region.
It is envisaged innovative ideas may include the following:
- Peak and off-peak managed charging considerations for example groups of houses/buildings with load constraints so potential generation and storage innovations.
- Novel uses for public spaces to deliver charging, storage infrastructure and power generation combined with new business models for wider community benefit.
- Digital and data based innovations around time of use, supply, demand, energy management and prioritisation essential services (schools and Hospitals) and for local use.
- Novel business and usage models and approaches to encourage shared mobility, incentivisation of public and community transport use.
- Developing public awareness of best behaviours towards zero carbon approaches in transport.
- Peak and off-peak managed considerations around energy consumption for example building management, smart controls, links to community energy storage.
- Novel uses for unused land to support power generation and renewable installations combined with new business models for wider community benefit.
- Digital and data based innovations around time of use, supply, demand, energy management and prioritisation for local use.
- Novel business models and approaches to encourage uptake of renewables and energy efficient practices, incentivisation of lower carbon technologies.
- Developing public awareness of behaviours towards zero carbon approaches in energy usage.
Proposals are welcome for:
- Established solutions from other sectors of industry which can be adapted for this application
- Development proposals based on existing competences
- Universities and catapults with solutions above TRL 5 +
Entrants to this competition must be established businesses, startups, SMEs or individual entrepreneurs, and must be UK based or have the intention to set up a UK base.
Rewards & Benefits
- Capital investment or Collaborative Tender opportunity from Electric Corby CIC to co-create and deliver solutions
- Support from Innovate UK KTN
- Support in the development of a prototype or pilot in North Northamptonshire
- Technical support
- Invitation to attend or present at Innovate UK KTN events
- A potential business/commercial collaboration or collaborative grant application
- Investor introductions (if investment is required)
- Support if any Innovate or similar competitions are relevant
- Inclusion in the final report and recommended roll-out options programme
- Public council support for roll-out as part of the net zero roadmap plan