Innovation Exchange challenge: Reusable packaging and logistics solution for Air Source Heat Pumps
ICAX requires a reusable packaging and logistics solution for the distribution of its heat pump to households and retailers across the UK.
ICAX has developed a novel domestic heat pump that has reached late-stage prototype trials. It is building a manufacturing site in the UK and will produce north of 1500 heat pumps in 2023.
ICAX requires a reusable packaging and logistics solution for the distribution of its heat pump to households across the UK, as well as retailers of its product. ICAX currently does not have an in-house transport solution and its use of external logistics providers is a possibility for the future.
The prototype unit was stored and transported using a standard euro pallet and plastic wrapping. The heat pump was bolted to the pallet to provide stability and enable ease of maneuverability with a forklift truck. The plastic wrapping provided protection from scratches and dirt.
Whilst the wooden euro pallets are reusable, they have a fairly short lifespan and require regular maintenance. Plastic wrapping has a number of downsides including its adverse environmental impact, minimal protective qualities, and unattractive appearance. Any reusable packaging provider would also need to consider the associated logistical costs of returning the packaging to ICAX. Any proposed packaging solution should improve on all of these factors.
ICAX are looking for a solution with reusable materials, sustainable and scalable distribution and logistics, suitable for outdoor use and storage, which protects the product and is easy to use, while being aesthetically pleasing and well designed.
For full details of functional and technical requirements, see the link below.
Entrants to this competition must:
- Be SMEs or individual entrepreneurs
- Be UK based or have the intention to set up a UK base
- Have not exceeded its Minimum Financial Assistance limit (or De Minimis, where relevant).
Rewards & Benefits
Shortlisted applicants will be given an opportunity to pitch to ICAX. The final winning solution provider will receive:
- A portion of a £25,000 grant award to work with ICAX on delivery of a proof-of-concept trial (exact terms and funding amount to be agreed between ICAX and winning solution provider)
- Support from KTN, if it is required
- Invitations to attend or present at KTN events
- Investor introductions, if required
- Support if any Innovate UK or similar competitions are relevant.