Global Incubator Programme: Canada - AI in Health
Innovate UK EDGE seeks up to 8 companies developing health tech using AI-powered solutions to join a programme working with Canada.
Innovate UK will fund and organise flights, accommodation, in-market travel, and any additional fees for successful applicants. Innovate UK will also pay for any reasonable adjustments throughout the initiative.
Note: this is fully funded support and not monetary funding.
Innovate UK’s Global Incubator Programme is an acceleration programme for innovative businesses to work with world-leading incubators abroad. We are currently accepting applications to take up to eight innovative companies, developing Artificial Intelligence, machine learning applications for improved healthcare decision making and diagnostics, as well as safer, more effective treatments, to join our programme with MaRS Discovery District in Toronto, Canada.
We welcome applications from innovative companies who are developing technology that enables or improves processes and productivity using AI-powered solutions in the fields of diagnostics, therapeutics, mental health, precision or regenerative medicine.
To apply for this programme you must:
- Be a UK based company
- Be a business with fewer than 500 employees
- Have a focus on AI
Only one representative from each company will be funded.
Canada is ranked among the top five countries for commercial AI-focused ventures and has the most patents per million people among the G7 nations and China. Toronto’s start-up ecosystem also hosts the largest concentration of AI-startups, with 273 firms, thanks to Canada’s support of foreign-owned multinational corporations. In 2017, Canada released a national AI strategy to attract and retain world-class AI researchers, foster a collaborative AI ecosystem, advance national AI initiatives, and understand societal implications of AI. From this, $93 million was invested in research institutions and AI talent, which has helped make Canada one of the world’s leading players in the sector and has led to investments and job creation.
For nearly 20 years, MaRS has empowered innovation in the healthcare ecosystem by offering a range of services that help tech founders grow their companies and create meaningful innovation. MaRS works with 1,400 companies across Canada, turning breakthrough ideas into products and services with global impact. In 2020 alone, MaRS supported ventures raised $2.4 billion collectively, while generating $1.5 billion in revenue.
- Advisory support: Guidance from sector experts and experienced entrepreneurs in Canada.
- AI consulting services: Connect with freelance and staff subject matter experts for support with a pressing AI/ML challenge.
- Connections to capital: Introductions to VCs and corporates looking to invest in new ventures.
- Connections to talent: Support with finding and recruiting skilled workers from Canada and the world.
- Data and insights: Tailored market analysis of the latest industry trends and the insights needed to gain an edge.
- Tools and services: Webinars, information sessions, peer-to-peer guidance, and access to marketing and communication expertise.
- Access and introductions: Connections to North American-based customers and partners.
- Professional network: Participate in a vibrant community of AI entrepreneurs and industry professionals.
- PR and creative services: Access the MaRS PR Accelerator to help build your brand presence in North America.
- Exploit the opportunity: Each business is supported by an Innovate UK EDGE Innovation & Growth Specialist to maximise the potential of being part of the programme and beyond.
Applications close: 15th March 2024
Shortlist Interviews: 25th – 27th March 2024
First market visit: 11th – 20th June 2024
Second market visit: October 2024
For more information, assistance with your application or to discuss accessibility needs, please contact the global team at firstname.lastname@example.org.