The Freight Innovation Fund is a multi-faceted programme, funded by the Department for Transport (DfT) and delivered by Connected Places Catapult, which will accelerate the adoption of commercially ready solutions into the sector.
DfT and Connected Places Catapult will select up to 12 SMEs to join a 6-month programme, where they will each have the opportunity to access up to £150,000 of funding to trial their solutions.
SMEs are encouraged to apply in partnership with other organisations, such as corporate partners, with whom they are already in discussions to support the trials.
We will be looking for SMEs that address one or more of the following challenges:
- Data collection and sharing technologies or methods to reduce impact on the planet, efficiency and to drive better coordination.
- Better aggregation and disaggregation of large loads from rail to last-mile logistics and onward transport modes to allow goods to enter cities without aggravating emissions and traffic.
- Design new solutions for inter-modal hubs within ports for containers logistics and their allocation to other freight modes.
Find out more information about the challenges and programme here.
What does the programme offer to SMEs?
- Funding: Access up to £150k in grant funding; the amount will be based on the trial proposal submitted as part of the application and requires an element of in-kind match funding from SMEs.
- Trial support: This could include, but is not limited to trial design training, stakeholders’ analysis, data ecosystem mapping, deployment support, trial monitoring and evaluation support.
- Investment support: Tailored investment readiness programme, with support from investment coaches.
- Business development: Business development opportunities and introductions to potential customers.
- Demonstration Day: an opportunity to meet industry, investors, potential customers and end-users at the end of programme event.
- Membership of the Freight Innovation Cluster
If you would like help to find a collaboration partner, contact Innovate UK KTN’s Transport team.