Building responsible neurotechnology research capability
Apply for funding to develop a research network for neurotechnology. The full economic cost of your network can be up to £7.5 million. EPSRC and MRC will fund 80% of the full economic cost, up to £6 million. Expressions of interest must be submitted by 8th October 2021.
The full economic cost of your network can be up to £7.5 million. EPSRC and MRC will fund three to six networks, each at 80% of the full economic cost, up to £6 million. Note that you must submit a mandatory ‘expression of interest’ by 8 October 2021 in order to make a full application.
You must be:
- based in the UK
- eligible for EPSRC funding.
Your network is expected to:
- help form new interdisciplinary research communities
- promote responsible research and address ethical issues in neurotechnology
- set a research agenda and fund small feasibility studies.
The full economic cost of your network can be up to £7.5 million. EPSRC and MRC will fund 80% of the full economic cost, up to £6 million.
Your network can include up to five investigators:
- the principal investigator
- up to four co-investigators.
Standard EPSRC eligibility rules apply.
Research grants are open to:
- UK higher education institutions
- research council institutes
- UKRI-approved independent research organisations
- public sector research establishments
- NHS bodies with research capacity.
You can apply if you are resident in the UK and meet at least one of the eligibility criteria below:
- are employed at the submitting research organisation at a level equivalent to lecturer or above
- hold a fixed-term contract that extends beyond the duration of the proposed project, and the host research organisation is prepared to give you all the support normal for a permanent employee
- hold an EPSRC, Royal Society or Royal Academy of Engineering fellowship aimed at later career stages
- hold fellowships under other schemes (please contact EPSRC to check eligibility, which is considered on a case-by-case basis).
EPSRC, in partnership with MRC, invites proposals for ‘network plus’ grants that build capability for responsible research across the breadth of neuro-technologies.
The research focus of the networks will be supported by EPSRC and MRC and will draw significantly on:
- physical sciences
- information and communications technologies
- mathematical sciences.
We are particularly encouraging activities which target health needs.
The networks will lead to new collaborations, excellent research proposals and inform ideas for future research themes. They will provide a foundation for addressing ethical questions and addressing future research within the framework of responsible innovation. Applicants should also consider public, patient involvement and engagement and how this may be integrated into the network. For more information, see the EPSRC impact and translation toolkit.
Up to £6 million will be available to fund networks for up to three years at 80% full economic cost. We expect to fund three to six networks to build the UK community, build future capacity and inform the strategy for neurotechnology development.
Equipment over £10,000 in value (inclusive of VAT) is not available through this opportunity. Smaller items of equipment (individually under £10,000) should be in the ‘directly incurred – other costs’ heading.
Before submitting a full proposal, you must submit a mandatory ‘expression of interest’ by 8 October 2021. EPSRC must receive your application by 25 November 2021, 4pm.