UK 5G Innovation Network ‚Äì call for Advisory Board members
The UK 5G Innovation Network is seeking applications from individuals to join its Advisory Board prior to its launch in March 2018.
The Government is supportive of enabling UK world leadership in the development of 5G. It has recently cemented its commitment to this with significant funding through the 5G Testbeds and Trials Programme sponsored by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).
In addition, DCMS is supporting the development of a UK 5G Innovation Network to bring together organisations across the 5G eco-system. The Network is being led by a consortium of delivery partners that consist of Cambridge Wireless (lead partner), Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) and TM Forum and which also includes a number of relevant associate partners, that have committed time and resource to make the Network a success.
The UK 5G Innovation Network will operate autonomously from Government and at its heart will be an independent Advisory Board, which will inform and review its operations, provide a leadership focus for the UK 5G ecosystem, and advice to Government as it further develops its 5G policy and programmes.
A full Terms of Reference for the Advisory Board, outlining its mission and objectives, can be found here.
Criteria for membership:
The UK 5G Innovation Network is seeking a wide range of individual members, made up of Industry and academic/research representatives and from a cross-section of stakeholders in the 5G community.
It will appoint a suitable balance of members with experience of the supply side (eg. providers of technology, infrastructure, operators, services) ,the demand side (eg. customers and potential customers of 5G drawn from industry sectors), and intermediaries (eg: regulators and standards organisations) of the 5G ecosystem.
The Network will consider all applications, but it will prioritise its selection towards those individuals who demonstrate one or more of the following criteria:
- Senior responsibility in Industrial/Academic R&D in a relevant sector or scientific field
- Senior responsibility for innovation in industries that are likely to benefit from 5G connectivity in the medium/long term (for example Retail, Health, Transport, Infrastructure, Creative Industries, Manufacturing)
- Responsibility for delivering connected infrastructure and services in UK regions/cities
- Experience of developing and delivering large-scale, transformative digital services
- Experience in shaping and advising policy at a senior level
- Experience in reviewing publicly-funded innovation in digital and/or infrastructure projects
- Relevant contacts and networks globally that would further the aims and ambitions of the Network
Chair of the UK 5G Innovation Network Advisory Board:¬†
- We expect to recommend a chairperson from amongst the short list of applicants.¬† We would, therefore, be grateful if applicants could indicate their willingness to be the chairperson of the Advisory Board.
The 5G Innovation Network is running an open application process. The call for applications opens on 1st February 2018 and closes at noon on 28th February 2018.
All applications received on the 28th February will be scored according to the criteria above and shortlisted applicants will be asked to attend a short interview.
The selection panel will consist of representatives from each of the UK 5G Innovation Network, plus 2 independent assessors.
The final short-list of potential members will be endorsed by the DCMS before being formerly asked to join.
In the case of a deluge of interest, we may ask potential members to join a short-list for membership at a later stage (membership of the Network is reviewed every 12 months).
An indicative timetable for recruitment is outlined below:
Application Deadline: 28 Feb 2018
UK5G Selection panel shortlisting: 10 March 2018
DCMS Endorsement: 15 March 2018
First Advisory Board for Membership: 10 April 2018
If you are interested in applying to be a member, then please submit your resume, with an accompanying letter, to applications@5GUKIN.org by Noon, 28Th February 2018.
Please note: Membership of the UK 5G Innovation Network is on a voluntary, individual and advisory basis. The role is not remunerated, although the Network will reimburse members for reasonable expenses.