KTN is hiring - Knowledge Transfer Manager, Advanced Materials
KTM needed to provide support to businesses developing/using advanced materials, particularly in polymerics, ceramics, glass & light metals.
We are looking for a determined, bright, analytical and goal-orientated individual with current and relevant knowledge and experience in advanced materials to join our Materials team in providing business support to companies developing and/or using advanced materials, particularly for polymeric, ceramics, glass or lightweight metals applications.
This post will focus on supporting KTN activities relating to the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF) priorities targeted at the materials producing and user industries. The role will include helping to drive knowledge transfer between the science and technology base and industry, promoting networking and stimulating innovation relevant to industrial applications of advanced materials and identifying opportunities to expand KTN‚Äôs reach and services to facilitate business growth.
The post will be varied, working with businesses across multitude of sectors, providing technical capability to help UK industry to create economic value by innovating with advanced materials with a focus on opportunities driven by the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF). An analytical mind, understanding of how supply chains work, experience of specifying advanced materials for industrial applications or the ability to put together compelling business cases for growth are essential.
The suitable candidate will be required to address KTN KPIs with particular attention to business interaction, Innovate UK support and engagement with relevant Research Councils and universities conducting research in the field of advanced materials.
Reporting to: Head of Materials.
Grade: Knowledge Transfer Manager (KTM2)
Salary: ¬£37,000pa-¬£45,000pa (depending on experience)
Location: Home or office based (London, Edinburgh) working, with considerable UK travel expected.
- Assist in gathering and analysing evidence from companies and industry bodies to inform industrial challenge priorities relating to advanced materials.
- Prepare future work programmes for advanced materials in agreement with stakeholders and team members, working with industry to identify their needs.
- Identify and monitor trends, drivers and opportunities for innovation in the industrial application of advanced materials through interaction with business and the technology base.
- Ensure that industry is aware of the funding opportunities available for research and innovation involving advanced materials.
- Facilitate networking opportunities for industry to meet with peers and potential collaborators through the organisation of workshops and other meetings, etc.
- Actively promote opportunities and relevant activities in advanced materials through various media.
- Visit companies, research institutions and universities, mainly within the UK, to understand their R&D needs and innovation capabilities.
- Identify and develop growth opportunities for KTN, working with advanced materials stakeholders and industry leaders.
- Work within the Materials team to understand the materials technology needs of UK Industry and the scientific capabilities of the research base, facilitating the transfer of knowledge within and between these groups and the establishment of collaborations.
- Help understand and facilitate access to Knowledge Transfer support mechanisms for businesses and to help develop funding and investment applications.
- Assist in promoting the use of advanced materials to manufacturing and product application sectors in the UK. This will include visiting companies and identifying how innovations involving advanced materials can help their specific business.
- Promote KTN and innovation within a business context to advanced materials development and user companies, including the preparation of proposals for growth opportunities for KTN.
- Display and maintain a good scientific and technical knowledge in a broad range of topics relating to advanced materials, in particular polymeric, ceramics, glass or lightweight metals applications.
- Work within the KTN structure in a flexible manner, e.g. take part in joint activities with colleagues in other teams.
- Liaise closely with KTN staff in all disciplines to ensure a good understanding of other sector activities to facilitate flexibility and ease of working on other KTN sector opportunities.
- Contribute to the writing of articles for newsletters and blogs of interest to KTN members.
- Design, plan and deliver events and workshops. Author reports where applicable.
- Track outcomes resulting from KTN interventions, seeking case studies and metrics capture.
- Support KPI delivery and provide regular reporting of activity and outcomes.
For a full job description, click here.
The deadline for applications will be midday on 23rd November. We anticipate beginning to conduct telephone interviews on 26th, 27th and 28th ¬†November. ¬†First face to face interviews will start on 8th and 9th January 2019.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the UK, as sponsorship is not provided.
In addition to this post, we also have current vacancies in our Agri-Food, Health and Immersive Experience teams – see our Jobs page for more details.