Jet Zero strategy: one year on
On 20th July 2023, the Department for Transport (DfT) published Jet Zero strategy: one year on, setting out progress against their strategic framework for decarbonising aviation.
Significant milestones achieved since the Jet Zero strategy launch include:
- Agreement at the International Civil Aviation Organization for a long-term aspirational goal for aviation of net zero 2050 carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions for international aviation.
- Publication of the 2040 zero emissions airport target call for evidence.
- Significant progress on sustainable aviation fuels (SAF) including:
- publishing the second SAF mandate consultation
- launching a second round of the Advanced Fuels Fund
- publishing the Philip New report and the government response on how to develop a UK SAF industry
- Publication of the government response to the UK ETS consultation, setting out a range of commitments that will enhance the effectiveness of the UK Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) for aviation.
- Launch of the expressions of interest for two DfT- funded research projects into aviation’s non-CO2 impacts.
Over the past year, Innovate UK KTN has played a key role in supporting the governments ambitions and has been instrumental in delivering the following outcomes:
1. Sustainable Aviation Fuel Innovation Programme (SAF IP)
Since launching the programme in April 2022, Innovate UK KTN has:
- Enabled British Airways to be the first airline in the world to fly on UK produced SAF saving 100,000 tonnes of CO2 on 700 of their LDN to JFK routes.
- Enabled Wizz Air to be the first European airline to fly on UK produced SAF on a 525,000 tonne offtake agreement delivering 1.5 million tonnes CO2 savings.
- Facilitated four NDAs between airlines and producers.
- Delivered two Masterclasses to share knowledge and best practice.
- Delivered one SAF supply chain conference to convene UK SAF leaders.
Find more information on the SAF IP here.
2. Delivery partner and secretariat in the Jet Zero Council (JZC)
- Working with JZC CEO Emma Gilthorpe, Department for Transport, Department for Business and Trade, Department for Energy Security and Net Zero to shape the programme delivery.
- Shaping the SAF 2-year Delivery Plan.
- In collaboration with Department for Transport and Jonathon Counsell, define the strategic direction of the SAF Delivery Group.
- Secretariat for JZC SAF Delivery Group and subgroups, JZC CEO Steering Group and JZC Zero Emission Flight subgroups.
3. Europe’s first SAF Clearing House
Since 2018, Innovate UK KTN has worked with industry experts and the US Clearing House to scope out the case for a UK Clearing House and wrote the business case on behalf of Department for Transport, leading to an initial £3m investment.
In 2022, Innovate UK KTN conducted a research project on behalf of Department for Transport to further inform the business case, leading to a further £12m to launch a Clearing House in summer 2023.
We will continue to support government’s ambition to deliver at least a 10% SAF in the UK jet fuel mix by 2030, and will:
- Raise the international profile of the Jet Zero Council by contributing a book chapter highlighting the role, leadership and deliverables of the council.
- Support the delivery of the UK SAF clearing house.
- Deliver our ambition for the SAF Innovation Programme and build the UK supply chain.
- Deliver SAF Supply Chain Initiative 2024.
- Continue our role as delivery partner and secretariat on the Jet Zero Council Delivery Groups and CEO Steering Group.
- Work with Department for Transport and industry to deliver the actions defined in the Jet Zero Council SAF Delivery Group 2 year plan.
For more information visit Jet Zero strategy: delivering net zero aviation by 2050.
Sustainable Aviation Fuel Investment Programme
Innovate UK KTN is pivotal to the work currently undergoing to establish a Sustainable Aviation Fuel industry in the UK. As the industry seeks to reach the mandate of 10% SAF by 2030, investment into producers, feedstock, and technologies across the value chain will be critical to reaching this target.