Innovation Pitch Zone at Healthy Ageing 2023 showcases game-changing innovations
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) in collaboration with Zinc VC, proudly hosted an innovation pitch zone at the Healthy Ageing 2023 conference.
This dynamic event served as a platform to present 16 groundbreaking innovations to an expert panel of investors from Octopus Ventures, Ascension, Invigorate Ventures, Nesta, UnLtd and Zinc VC.
The pitch zone at the two-day Healthy Ageing conference allowed event delegates to engage with cutting-edge ideas through three-minute pitches, followed by five minutes of rigorous questioning from the investor panel, using wireless headsets that allowed the pitches to take place alongside the active events taking place at the conference.
The innovations showcased a diverse array of pioneering solutions, including:
- An indoor navigation AI designed to enhance travel experiences with better support
- A revolutionary visual field test for advancing ophthalmic health diagnostics
- An AI-designed programmable hand support device aimed at improving dexterity and mobility
- An AI-driven mobility device tailored for the visually impaired to navigate with ease
- A fitness walker with a groundbreaking design to inspire and promote healthy, active lifestyles
Based on the investors’ feedback, accolades were awarded to five exceptional teams, recognising their outstanding contributions and innovations:
- Trudie Fell from BelleVie received the accolade for the Most Compelling Pitch Presentation
- Stephen Hicks of Irida Health was awarded the accolade for the Most Investable Project
- Sophie Richter from aiKNIT received the accolade for Most Transformative Social Impact
- Fredi Nonyelu from Briteway was awarded the accolade for the Most Innovative Product or Service
- The prestigious Overall Winner title was presented to Jean Marc Feghali of WeWalk, underscoring exceptional potential and impact of his breakthrough AI-led navigation cane for the visually impaired.
The innovation pitch zone at Healthy Ageing 2023 was an incredible platform for these brilliant teams to showcase their groundbreaking solutions. It’s inspiring to witness such transformative ideas paving the way for a healthier and more vibrant ageing community. We’re proud to have partnered with UKRI, both on yesterday’s conference event, and over the past few years as delivery partner for the Healthy Ageing Catalyst Awards, to support and accelerate leading research-led innovations to support independence, enjoyment and quality for those in later life.
Natalie Pankova, Managing Director, Deeptech Ventures at Zinc VC
I was amazed by the quality of the pitches and the valuable experience this gave the innovators as they prepare for the next stage of their journey. It’s a testament to the immense talent and dedication of all those involved, and the very real potential of their game-changing solutions. The event builds on the ongoing collaboration between Zinc VC and UKRI that has been opening up new opportunities for researchers from any discipline to bring innovations to market and have a positive impact on how we age.
George MacGinnis, UKRI Healthy Ageing Challenge Director
Main image: Trudie Fell, BelleVie
Healthy Ageing Challenge Community of Practice
The Healthy Ageing Challenge Community of Practice is a collaborative learning community for businesses, social ventures, researchers, investors and policymakers to connect and share knowledge and insights in relation to healthy ageing.