Made Smarter Innovation: Sustainable Smart Factory Competition Briefing
UKRI, in collaboration with KTN, will be hosting an online competition briefing webinar on the 9th November 2021 to introduce the funding competition “Made Smarter Innovation: Sustainable Smart Factory”.
This competition aims to support industrial research that addresses digital innovations to improve the sustainability of manufacturing processes.
Webinar recording and slides are now available
Find the slides here.
Your project must apply digital technology development to improve manufacturing processes within a production facility, to deliver more environmentally sustainable production processes. Projects must estimate the material or energy savings following the definitions below:
Resource Efficiency and Energy Efficiency (REEE)
- Resource Efficiency = Reduction in material wastage throughout the manufacturing process, including bought in-materials. Expressed as Tonne’s of material saved and the equivalent embodied CO2e
- Energy Efficiency = Reduction in electric, gas, or equivalent power consumption. Expressed in kWh power saved and equivalent CO2e
Your project must focus on developing digital solutions to:
- Reduce the amount of waste or other in-process material losses through the manufacturing steps
- Reduce the energy consumed by a manufacturing process
- Better sequence or schedule the manufacturing operations to reduce material and/or energy consumption
- Better separate waste materials to facilitate downstream material reuse
For more information on the competition, please visit the official competition page once it goes live. We will make sure to share the link to the competition page during the competition briefing.
The briefing webinar will include an opportunity to:
- Hear about the scope of the competition in more detail and how to apply
- Learn about the eligibility criteria
- Ask any questions you may have
- Find out how to develop partnerships for your proposed projects, with help from KTN
The webinar will be of interest to:
- Manufacturers of all sizes across multiple sectors
- Technology developers, providers & integrators
- Various other stakeholders including Research and Technology organisations (RTOs), data specialists, Life Cycle Analysis practitioners, and many more
Online Networking: To help potential applicants to find suitable partners for the competition, KTN has launched a collaborative networking platform. Make sure to register for the event and we will send you details of how to get involved.
Make sure to register for the online webinar and we look forward to meeting you at the competition briefing.
- 10:00 – Welcome | Ben Peace, KTN
- 10:05 – Competition context and scope | Chris Needham, Innovation Lead – Manufacturing Made Smarter, Innovate UK
- 10:25 – Questions & Answers
- 11:00 – How to find partners, similar funding competitions and the support available to businesses | Ben Peace, Head of Manufacturing, KTN
- 11:10 – Application process | Innovate UK Competitions Team Speaker TBC
- 11:30 – Q&A
- 11:45 – Online networking via Meeting Mojo Platform