Future RAN R&D Funding Competition Briefing Event webinar
Join us to learn more about the new DCMS Future RAN (Radio Access Network) R&D competition and make new connections for potential collaborations.
About the competition
The UK Government’s 5G Supply Chain Diversification Strategy (2020) set out the long-term vision for the telecoms access supply market. One where competition and innovation bring forward new deployment models based on open interfaces and interoperable standards, with flexible networks and comprising an array of suppliers. This is because such a market increases competition and choice, and ultimately introduces interchangeability of equipment into the supply chain, boosting resilience.
Webinar recording and pitches are now available
One of the Government’s top priorities for delivering the strategy is investing in a R&D ecosystem that will support industry to accelerate the development of interoperable deployment methods, like Open RAN. In particular, the strategy identifies the high cost of R&D as a key barrier to entry for suppliers of open and interoperable products.
Up to £30m will be available in this competition, aiming to explore and develop new use-cases and sustainable business models for 5G applications and services.
The competition objectives include:
- Accelerating the development of high-performance 5G Open RAN solutions that meet UK dense urban requirements by 2025
- Attracting new 5G RAN suppliers to conduct R&D in the UK and foster professional collaborations between potential new entrants into the UK’s public network
- Contributing to the delivery of the 5G Supply Chain Diversification Strategy’s objectives of disaggregated supply chains, open interfaces by default, and security being a priority in network deployment
About the briefing event
This event was designed to brief participants on the scope, eligibility and how to make an application for funding.
It was open to organisations and businesses who may be interested in taking part in projects, including:
- Organisations involved in the development, trialling and usage of applications, products, services;
- Network providers;
- Mobile Network Operators;
- Technology vendors;
- Local authorities and other public service delivery bodies.