Knowledge Transfer Manager Sustainable Aviation Fuel (FTC March 2025)
Purpose of the Role
The applicant must have strong leadership skills and be a self-starter with deep understanding of the Jet-A1 technical pathways and policy landscape. You will have strong inter-personal and communication skills with the ability to identify solutions to deliver impact and help build the UK SAF supply chain.
Innovate UK KTN is working with the Department for Transport to grow and commercialise the sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) industry. KTN’s SAF Innovation Programme (SAF IP) is a globally unique programme to build the UK SAF supply chain and support government’s ambition to deliver 10% SAF in the UK aviation fuel mix by 2030.
The successful candidate will work with the Head of Transport to deliver on this high-profile programme and work as part of the Jet Zero Council Delivery Team.
A secondment will be considered.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead the delivery of Innovate UK KTN’s Sustainable Aviation Fuel Innovation Programme (SAF IP) to ensure project deliverables and metrics are met. You will work across the supply chain from feedstock suppliers to airlines and OEMs and be able to understand technical challenges, recognise opportunities and facilitate new SAF development opportunities and offtake agreements.
- Work as part of the KTN Jet Zero Council Delivery Team, deputising and participating in meetings to help shape the structure and content to deliver desired outcomes.
- Draft correspondence, produce presentations, meeting minutes and reports with technical context and proofread documents with a high attention to detail.
- Explore opportunities to support the industry to find alternatives to leaded AvGas in general aviation.
- Take responsibility for complex and new areas, scoping out the challenge and defining activities to meet a defined outcome.
- Ensure a good understanding of developing government SAF policies to ensure the relevant context is maintained to support and drive effective activities.
- Be continuously aware of the latest research and information as well as gathering and analysing insights to inform future programmes of work.
- Deliver on key business metrics agreed with the line manager, and to track progress, capturing outcomes and impact.
- Undertake reporting obligations in line with Innovate UK KTN goals for impact measurement.
- Lead on designing workshops and conferences with associated marketing, in collaboration with the Reach and Engagement Directorate.
Experience & Skills
- Demonstrable knowledge of the ASTM D7566 pathways essential (and include ASTM D4054 and DEF STAN 091-91).
- Degree, or equivalent, educated.
- Leadership experience in the aviation sector essential.
- Experience of government policies and research and innovation strategies.
- Experience in business development and programme design essential.
- Exceptional stakeholder management skills with a proven ability in working effectively with a wide range of stakeholders essential.
- Able to produce accurate written documents in a variety of styles to a very high standard.
- Demonstrable financial expertise to provide effective management of project budgets.
- Experience in managing/leading projects/programmes.
- Confident in working closely with diverse senior leaders or groups internally and externally, with an ability to persuade, influence and motivate people and teams at all levels.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and collaboration skills.
- Able to identify opportunities and design effective activities to deliver business transformation.
- Effective communicator
- Excellent attention to detail
- Thorough understanding of the industry; strong personal network of stakeholders in many companies and demonstrable reputation for representing business at conferences and workshops
- Knowledgeable of SAF technical pathways currently approved and future potential sustainable Jet-A/A1 options
- Track record in knowledge transfer and innovation and demonstrating the impact of such experience
- Demonstrable track record of managing projects and/or programmes
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate confidently and build effective relationships
- Team player with good relationship building and influencing skills; enjoys working in a collaborative manner in an open, honest, and diverse environment
- Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and persuasively across multi-disciplinary teams and stakeholders, explaining complicated matters simply
- High level of IT literacy
- A self-starter with a proactive approach
Benefits & how to apply
- This role has a salary of £50,000 to £55,000 pa depending on experience
- 28 days annual leave plus 10.5 bank and public holidays
- Enhanced Pension Plan
- Life Assurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Wider Wallet employee benefits high street discounts scheme
- Opportunities for continuous professional development as part of our Talent & Development Programme
This advert will close on Monday 2nd October though some circumstances may require us to close earlier, so early application is advised.
First stage interviews to be held w/c 9th October
Second stage interviews to be held w/c 16th October
Please apply by submitting a tailored cover letter outlining your suitability with specifics relating to the requirements of the role, and your CV outlining your experience.
The postholder will be home based (UK) or office based (Edinburgh, Harwell, London) with UK travel.
Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the UK without restrictions as sponsorship for visas is not provided. Unfortunately, owing to the high number of applications received, we can only provide feedback to applicants selected for interview.
Should you wish to discuss this opportunity further, please contact the Recruitment Team by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Innovate UK KTN strives to be a diverse and inclusive place where we can all be ourselves. We welcome everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in the industry: people of colour, LGBTQ+ community, women, disabled people, people of any age or family status. We know that diversity makes us stronger and we strive to create a working environment that is inclusive, and ensures everyone can be heard and valued for their contributions.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to removing barriers for individuals with conditions, illnesses or disabilities and we will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process, and in their future role.
If you would like to request any reasonable adjustment, for any part of the recruitment process (including application), please let us know by emailing email@example.com.