Highways England issue Intelligent Infrastructure Challenge
Highways England are engaging with industry, seeking ways to take advantage of innovative technology to improve safety.
As set out in their Health & Safety Five Year Plan, Highways England has a target to reduce road user casualties and Accident Frequency Rates for both their Traffic Officer Service and supply chain partners.
Identifying new emerging technology has the potential to have a significant influence and impact on safety performance.
Aspects that may help provide focus for the competition include, but are not limited to:
- Safer Roads – Raise inherent safety and protective quality of the network
- Safer Vehicles ‚Äì Encourage deployment of improved vehicle safety technologies
- Safer People ‚Äì Develop intelligence led innovation to improve road user behaviour
- Reducing incursions into roadworks
- Increasing the safety of man-machine interface
- Reducing the number of incidents due to severe weather conditions
- Taking advantage of modern technology for more effective training purposes
- Reducing the number and severity of incidents eg involving heavy goods vehicles
- Developing and deploying technology to prevent, detect or monitor incidents
New for the 2017 event, The Intelligent Infrastructure Challenge is a competition involving specific infrastructure client challenges set by Highways England, Bristol City Council, Transport for the North, England’s¬†Economic Heartland¬†the London Air Quality Commission¬†and Transport Scotland. These challenges require innovative technical solutions to problems involving customer service and/or network efficiency and/or safety and security and /or performance.
Each shortlisted candidate will be able to exhibit their solution for free and will be asked to give a 5-minute¬†presentation in The Hub. Each of the challenger clients will be tasked to pick a winner from the shortlist and¬†award a prize at a special ceremony during the event on Thursday, November 9th. Winners will receive various levels of non-financial support from the challenger client.
Click the related documents link below to download the 2017 challenges and click here to apply.
Application closing date: 22nd September
For general enquiries contact¬†Andrew Dowding.